Sunday, December 8, 2013

Last Update

Okay, I jumped the gun a bit last week and I thought I concluded the blog for this semester. Well, I was wrong; so, one week left of the blog and because it is almost impossible to pick up from last week, I am going to go back this week and discuss a book review over the Sienese Painting after the Black Death: Artistic Pluralism, Politics, and the New Art Market. The primary reason I am choosing to go over this review as it offers more insight on the effects of the Black Plague through a scholarly outlook.

One of the main differences in my research of the effect of the Black Death on illustrated manuscripts compared to what Steinhoff wrote in Sienese Painting after the Black Death: Artistic Pluralism, Politics, and the New Art Market is the focus on religion. Susan Stuard asserts in her review of the book that "Steinhoff acknowledges that the "golden age" of Sienese painting arrived early in the century and continues through the last decades of the century. In this later era she finds an extremely sophisticated and self-conscious sponsorship of art intended to promote both religious and civic agendas."[1]

I have argued about the change in civic agendas as well as the change in how society viewed death and deathways  in the 13th-14th centuries. Religion was never an aspect that I focused on primarily due to the fact that the manuscripts rarely reflected anything to do with the Church.

Steinhoff and I do agree though on the change in depiction. Stuard concludes, “Steinhoff regards Bulgarini and other painters who survived into this era as striving for a synthesis of the diverse visual and thematic traditions that they inherited. Moreover, the author sees both pluralism and the attempts at synthesis as positive and artistically creative.”[2]

The evidence that I have presented throughout the semester focuses on the very same ideas. Illustrated manuscripts before the plague focused less on pluralistic ideology and more on simplicity. What I left out and what I find important though is the emphasis on religion; I have mentioned in some of my previous posts about how everyone including clergy was affected by the plague and it changed the way people felt about the social hierarchy. Steinhoff refutes my beliefs and argues that people still used religion as their guiding principal and it is reflected through illustrated manuscripts, in particular, the Sienese.



[1] Stuard, Susan Mosher. 2007. "Sienese Painting after the Black Death: Artistic Pluralism, Politics, and the New Art Market."American Historical Review 112, no. 4: 1250-1251. Academic Search Complete, EBSCOhost (accessed December 8, 2013).
[2] Ibid

No comments:

Post a Comment